Wyoming Department of Health - Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Division
Veterans Outreach and Advocacy Program
The Wyoming Department of Health, Behavioral Health Division's Veterans Outreach and Advocacy Program has been funded by the Wyoming Legislature since 2008. The Veterans Outreach program provides outreach, case management, and advocacy services to Wyoming Post 9/11 veterans (OEF/OIF/OND) and their families, who may need mental health and/or substance abuse recovery services. Three regional advocates provide case management and advocacy in assisting the veteran to reintegrate back into their family, their employment, and their community.
A limited amount of Veterans Quality of Life funds may be available to Post 9/11 veterans who meet eligibility criteria including reimbursement to the veteran and his/her family for travel, childcare, and other expenses necessary to access mental health or substance abuse treatment services if the expenses are not covered by other resources.
The advocates provide a warm hand-off to community referrals who meet the veteran's needs and provide follow-up with the veteran. This same warm hand-off is provided to all veterans, regardless of their service era or discharge status.
The advocates can provide care coordination and planning, walk beside you as you access systems to meet your needs and limited quality of life funds that support your recovery.
Veterans’ Mental Health Referrals in Wyoming
Wyoming Department of Health, Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Division
307-777-6494 or 1-800-535-4006
• Military One Source offers up to 6 confidential counseling sessions per issue.
• Vet Centers offer complete confidential assistance in Casper and Cheyenne with contract referrals across the state
Casper Vet Center: 1-307-261-5355
Cheyenne Vet Center: 1-307-778-7370
• Military and Tricare healthcare providers provide referrals to mental health professionals
WY ARNG Staff Sgt John Lavery: 1-866-992-7641, ext. 5934
WY ARNG Chief Master Sgt Kris Mauer: 1-307-772-6426
• Military chaplains can offer advice and provide referrals in a confidential manner
WY ARNG Chaplain Perry: 1-307-322-4293
WY ARNG Chaplain Andersee: 1-307-772-6407
• VA OIF/OEF outreach coordinators offer referrals to the proper VA healthcare providers or clinics:
Sheridan Linda Keister: 1-307-672-1677
Cheyenne Marti Salas: 1-307-778-7550, ext. 7068
• University of Wyoming Psychology Department Trauma Clinic provides free counseling for veterans and their families (you do not need to be a student).
Dr. Matt Gray: 1-307-766-2927
• WY National Guard Family Assistance Centers can help with referrals to proper healthcare and mental health providers.
FAC Supervisor – Deb Russell – 1-307-630-3358
SE WY Coodinator – Arloa Pike – 1-307-286-9991
W WY Coordinator – Bill Hoopes – 1-307-286-9993
NW WY Coordinator – Leslie Hoffman – 1-307-286-9992
C WY Coordinator – Daniella Hamilton – 1-307-630-6966
Toll free: 1-800-635-4917
VA Community Based Outreach Clinics:
offer assistance and referrals to the proper healthcare provider:
• Casper VA Clinic
4140 S. Poplar St.
Casper, WY 82601
• Cheyenne VAMC
2360 E Pershing Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82001
• Ft. Collins VA Clinic
1100 Poudre River Dr.
Ft. Collins, CO 80524
• Gillette VA Clinic
1707 Phillips Cir., Suite A
Gillette, WY 82717
• Greeley VA Clinic
2020 16th St.
Greeley, CO 80631
• Newcastle VA Clinic
1124 Washington Blvd.
Newcastle, WY 57555
• Powell VA Center
777 Avenue H
Powell, WY 82435
• Riverton VA Clinic
2300 Rose Lane
Riverton, WY 82501
• Rock Springs VA Clinic
3000 College Dr., Suite C
Rock Springs, WY 82901
• Sheridan VAMC
1898 Fort Rd.
Sheridan, WY 82801
• Sydney VA Clinic
1116 10th Ave.
Sydney, NE 69162
Community Mental Health Clinics and Substance Abuse Clinics
Click Here to find treatment centers.
Online resources for Veterans
• www.battlemind.org - A program that helps Service Members understand the differences in their thought processes while serving in combat and what it takes to reintegrate back into civilian life.
• http://www.tbinrc.com/ - National center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. The PTSD Information Center contains in-depth information on PTSD and traumatic stress for a general audience.
• www.va.gov/rcs/ - Veterans’ Center information.
• www.triwest.com - Behavioral health resources and referrals, as well as online access to Tricare benefits.
• www.militaryonesource.com - Online access to services and referrals offered by Military One Source.
• http://www.samhsa.gov/veterans-military-families - Resources and research concerning Veterans and mental health, including referrals and family resources.
• www.pdhealth.mil/op_stress.asp#fam - Clinical information and resources regarding PTSD.
• www.pdhealth.mil/TBI.asp - Information and resources concerning traumatic brain injury (TBI) designed for Veterans and their families.
• http://www.samhsa.gov/veterans-military-families - Brain Injury Association of Wyoming provides information and support to those with brain injuries, and their families and employers. Also has information about brain injury support groups around the state. (1-800-643-6457)
last updated 11/16/2015 jj