- Please visit the CDC's redesigned prediabetes awareness site to learn more about prediabetes and about the benefits of helping your patients stop diabetes in its tracks. Specific information on diagnosing prediabetes may be found here.
- The state of Wyoming and its community partners are working to make a National Diabetes Prevention Program available to Wyoming residents. In the meantime, please visit this list of recognized online programs to find ways to refer your patients to evidence-based virtual diabetes prevention programming.
- Refer your patients diagnosed with prediabetes to www.doihaveprediabetes.org for further information about their condition and about the benefits of lifestyle change.
Heart Disease and Stroke
- The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association publish statements on various cardiovascular disease and stroke topics. To find statements or guidelines related to these issues, please visit the websites of the AHA and the ASA. Additionally, you can access the "Million Hearts" website that has resources for both patients and providers. Simply follow this link: Million Hearts.
- For professional development and training opportunities in treating and preventing heart disease and stroke, please visit the National Stroke Association's toolkit here and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's list of educational materials regarding heart disease here.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office on Smoking and Health (OSH), provides Cessation Program Materials, to include a Clinical Practice Guideline: Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update, which is available for download.
- The Chronic Disease Prevention Program maintains a calendar with statewide training events for healthcare providers regarding evidence-based hypertension and diabetes treatment. This calendar also features programs available to patients diagnosed with or at risk of diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions. In order to be added to the calendar, please email email@example.com. All you need is a Gmail address.
- If you would like information on cancer programs, please visit the Wyoming Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, the Wyoming Colorectal Cancer Screening Program, or the Comprehensive Cancer Control Program. If you would like information on other programs in the Wyoming Department of Health, including substance abuse, tobacco, and suicide prevention, please click here.
- Referring patients to Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) programs can be an important part of their treatment plan. The American Diabetes Association recognizes DSME programs based on the National Standards. Wyoming currently has 11 recognized programs. To locate one to refer your patients to, download a current list. If you're interested in becoming an ADA-recognized DSME site, please view their website for more information related to the application process, costs, and benefits of becoming recognized.
- If you have a patient diagnosed with diabetes and are unsure of how to find a Certified Diabetes Educator to work with him or her, please visit the American Association of Diabetes Educators search tool.
Heart Disease and Stroke
- To download a list of cardiac rehabilitation centers in Wyoming, click here.
- If you have patients that use tobacco and wish to quit, the Wyoming Quit Tobacco Program is a great resource for you to refer your patients to. The program is open to those aged 12 and older who wish to quit any form of tobacco. The program offers web-based and telephone services by going to: quitwyo.org or calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW. Major benefits of the program include:
- Free coaching and 24/7 web-based support.
- Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), such as gum, patches, and lozenges, to those enrolled in the program who are aged 18 and older as well as reduced-cost prescription tobacco cessation medications, mailed right to your patient's door!
- Customized programs and additional services offered for pregnant women, smokeless tobacco users, persons with chronic conditions (such as diabetes and heart disease) seeking lifestyle change coaching, and respectful cessation assistance for American Indians.
To download a printable Wyoming Quit Tobacco Program Fax Referral Form, click here. You can also download a program brochure to learn more and a current list of local tobacco cessation counselors in your community to refer patients to.
Heart Disease and Stroke
- American Heart Association (AHA) Resources for Healthcare Professionals
- American Stroke Association (ASA) Professional Resources
- National Stroke Association (NSA) Healthcare Professionals Resources
- CDC Heart Disease Educational Materials for Professionals
The State training calendar for the program has training events open to providers and clinicians around the state of Wyoming, If you are interested, you need a Gmail account. Please contact Denise Padilla for access to the calendar at firstname.lastname@example.org.