IMPORTANT NOTICE: Many pages on this site may not display properly for Internet Explorer 11 users. Please consider another browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

!!Consumer Alert!!

The Office of Vital Statistics Services does not recommend the use of commercial vendors when ordering certified copies of vital records.

Please see the information below for obtaining a birth certificate.


Birth Applications

This office is only able to issue certificates for those events that occurred in Wyoming.  If the birth didn't occur in Wyoming, we can't issue a record. 

Please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) “Where to Write” web page to find contact information for other states and territories.

Birth Certificate Details

Birth certificates may be obtained by:

  • Registrant if 18 years of age
  • Either parent named on the certificate
  • Lawyer representing the registrant or parent(s)
  • Legal guardian with guardianship papers

Be Sure to Provide the Following Information

  • Full name on birth record
  • Date of birth
  • City or county of birth
  • Full names of both parents including mother's maiden name
    • The mother's maiden name is her name prior to first marriage (her last name when she was born) 
  • Signature of parent or the individual themselves if over 18 years of age
    • If the request is signed by a legal guardian a copy of the court order establishing this must be provided along with the application. 
  • Mailing address where record is to be mailed.
  • Identification: Requests must include a current photocopy of the driver’s license, State ID card, or passport of the person requesting the certificate. We will also accept a notarized signature of the person making the request. If the person named on the certificate doesn’t have ID, a parent who has ID may request the certificate.

Important Notes

  • Wyoming does not offer a free birth certificate for newborn babies.
  • Many Wyoming hospitals offer a souvenir certificate, this copy is not legal and is not provided by this office. The Vital Statistics Services office prints certified copies of records that will be used throughout a person's lifetime.
  • Often times, it may take longer to obtain a newborn certificate as we are waiting on the information to be transmitted to our office for filing.
  • The fee for obtaining birth certificates by mail is $13.
  • If you do not have a birth record on file, you will be sent instructions for filing a Delayed Birth Certificate, and your $13 fee will be retained as a searching fee.
  • Birth records are on file since July 1909. Records that are over one hundred (100) years old should be obtained from Wyoming State Archives.

Payment and Expediting Requests

Requests should be submitted along with the fee. Money orders or a personalized check from the person making the request should be made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the request.  All personal checks are only accepted when:

  • The requestor is entitled to the record and
  • The check is personalized and on the account of the person making the request
  • Third-party or non-bank personalized checks will not be processed.

Send to: Vital Statistics Services
Hathaway Building
Cheyenne, WY 82002
(307) 777-7591 

  • Requests can be sent to the Vital Statistics office by any overnight delivery service. If you wish to have your certificates returned by means other than first class mail, please supply us with a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for FedEx, UPS, or US Postal express mail. Both FedEx and UPS envelopes will be required to have an account number listed on the envelope and should list your address as both the sender and the addressee.
  • We will process all requests as quickly as possible.

Report Lost or Stolen Birth Certificates

Printable Form for Stolen Birth Certificates or those records that have been lost where they could be found by other persons.

  • You must complete an application and submit it with the appropriate fee and ID to have the birth certificate replaced.