Death Certificate Details
Death certificates may be obtained by:
- Immediate family members
- Lawyers representing the immediate family
- Bank, executors of estate, insurance company, or anyone requiring a certificate to pay a policy or death benefit on the decedent.
- If you are not named on the death certificate, please be prepared to prove relationship to the decedent.
- Full name on death record
- Date of death
- City or county of death
- Relationship to deceased
- Purpose for which copy is needed
- Signature of person making request
- Mailing address where record is to be mailed
- Identification: Requests must include a current photocopy of the driver’s license, State ID card, or passport of the person requesting the certificate. We will also accept a notarized signature of the person making the request. The copy should be enlarged to make sure that it is legible.
- The fee for obtaining death certificates is $10.
- If the date of death is unknown, a searching fee of $13 for every five years searched is charged, which includes either a certified copy or verification of the record if one is found. If a record is not located, your fee will be retained.
- Death records are on file since July 1909. Death records that are fifty (50) years old should be obtained from Wyoming State Archives.
In situations involving foreign countries, an apostille may be needed. An apostille is a method of certifying a document for use in another country. With this certification, a document is entitled to recognition in the country of intended use without further action by a consulate or embassy. More information about apostilles from the Wyoming Secretary of State.
Payment and Expediting Requests:
Requests should be submitted along with the fee. Money orders or a personalized check from the person making the request should be made payable to Vital Statistics Services. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the request. All personal checks are only accepted when:
- The requestor is entitled to the record and
- The check is personalized and on the account of the person making the request
- Third-party or non-bank personalized checks will not be processed.
Send to: Vital Statistics Services
Cheyenne, WY 82002
- Requests can be sent to the Vital Statistics office by any overnight delivery service. If you wish to have your certificates returned by means other than first class mail, please supply us with a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope for FedEx, UPS, or US Postal express mail. Both FedEx and UPS envelopes will be required to have an account number listed on the envelope and should list your address as both the sender and the addressee.
- We will process all requests as quickly as possible.
NOTE: To view many files included with this site such as application forms and reports , you will need the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download and a description of Adobe PDF format is available at Adobe's web site). If you have any trouble with the file, please click the link above and determine if you have most current version of adobe.