IMPORTANT NOTICE: Many pages on this site may not display properly for Internet Explorer 11 users. Please consider another browser such as Chrome or Firefox.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who should sign the birth certificate application form?

   A: The application for a newborn's birth certificate must be signed by the mother or the father if he is named on the certificate.  If a father is not named on the certificate he is not entitled to that record and the application submitted will not be processed.

      The regular birth certificate application must be signed by the person making request.  However, if the person making the request is not 18 at the time the request is made, we must have a signature from their parent or legal guardian.  If a legal guardian is signing the request, please be prepared to provided copies of the Court Order establishing the guardianship. 

Q:  How long does it take to receive the birth certificate after you receive my request?

   A:  Certified copies are processed within five working days of receipt of an acceptable request in our office. 

Q:  Who do I make my check payable to?

   A:  Vital Records Services.

Q:  I need a death certificate for VA purposes, can I obtain one?

   A: No, Only one (1) certified copy of the death certificate will be issued or VA purposes to the funeral director listed on the death certificate, if they make the request.  Or the regional VA office can make the request for a certified copy directly to our office.

Q:  Will you take a check from my friend for my birth certificate?

   A:  No.  We will only take a personal check from the person signing the application.  A money order should be sent for all other requests.

Q:  How do I obtain a certified copy of the paternity forms that we signed to add the father to the birth certificate?

   A:  Submit an extra $13.00 fee with your request and indicate very plainly on the application that you want a certified copy of the paternity form.

Q:  How can I obtain a certified copy of my grandchild's birth certificate?

   A:  By submitting a photocopy of the filed court order granting you legal guardianship of the child.  If you do not have legal guardianship through the court, a parent named on the certificate will need to make the request.

Q:  How do I make a correction to a birth certificate?

   A:  Please submit your questions in writing to our office with your signature and photocopy of ID and the appropriate clerk will contact you with instructions on how to make the correction or if the correction can even be made.

Q:  How can I obtain records for genealogy?

   A:  Death, marriage, and divorce records where the event occurred at least fifty (50) years ago can be obtained from the Wyoming State Archives.         

For death records that cannot be obtained from the State Archives, the record must be requested by a member of the immediate family and proof of relationship may be required.  Birth records of deceased individuals may be obtained by a member of the immediate family with proof of death and proof of relationship.

Q:  How long does it take to receive a Social Security Number/Card for my newborn child?

    A:  In Wyoming, it takes on average, 3 weeks to receive the social security card in the mail.  However, it could take up to 6 weeks to receive the card.  If it has been more than 3 weeks you may want to wait another 3 to see if it will arrive.  Or you can contact your local Social Security Office

     Please click here to view a state processing time by state. 

Q:  I will be performing/officiating a marriage, am I legally able to do so?

   A:  Please refer to Wyoming State Statute 20-106 "Who may solemnize marriage; form of ceremony".  Wyoming Vital Statistics Services can not tell you whether or not you are able to perform a ceremony.  If, after reviewing the law, you still have questions, it is suggested that you obtain your own legal advice.  This office can't provide any legal advice as to who can and can not perform marriages.

Q:  Does Vital Statistics Services have a database of those people able to perform marriages?

   A:  No.  The Wyoming Vital Statistics office only files those marriage records that have been submitted by the County Clerks' office.