Welcome to the Wyoming State Hospital, located in Evanston, Wyoming. The hospital is a center for treatment, rehabilitation, and recovery. It is operationalized under the Wyoming Department of Health, Behavioral Health Division. It is the only state-operated psychiatric hospital in Wyoming, providing a full range of services and programs for adults.
In March of 1886, the Wyoming Territorial Legislature appropriated $30,000 for the erection of a State Mental Hospital. The "Insane Asylum" was completed in 1887.
On March 1, 1897, the fourth Wyoming Legislature changed the Hospital name to the Wyoming State Hospital for the Insane. In 1923, the Seventeenth Legislature declared, “the official name of the asylum shall be the Wyoming State Hospital.”
As the forward evolution of the hospital name changes indicate, there is no resemblance between the multi-faceted complex of today and the original institution. The first building in 1887 housed male patients and their attendants on the first floor, women patients and their attendants on the second floor, and kitchens, pantries, and storerooms in the basement. The present campus encompasses over twenty-five buildings. In addition to the five treatment units housed in nine treatment halls, there are facilities for staff as well as a chapel, Canteen Country Store, and a dining room and kitchen complex for residents and staff. You will also find the usual array of service buildings that include the laundry, maintenance shop, garages and general supply storage buildings.
The true measure of growth, of course, is shown by continued improvements in the care and treatment of the mentally ill. Today, the Wyoming State Hospital strives to provide state of the art therapeutic services.
The Wyoming State Hospital has now served the citizens of Wyoming for well over a century. The hospital has modified its focus many times as the needs of the State changed but it has always maintained its momentum of progress.